Christmas has an extra special meaning to me. It is a celebration of the family, of love, tranquility, peace. It's our chance to be reborn again each year, except as better people than the year before: doing, caring and giving back a little more. And it's a perfect opportunity for reflection, for giving thanks, making wishes, and even hoping for miracles.
Christmas is the time to give thanks for all the wonderful things that have happened throughout the year. I am extremely thankful to the special people who cared about the Ploiesti strays:
- the wonderful people that opened their homes for some Ploiesti strays, making them members of their families, or fostering them before finding them perfect homes;
- Romania Animal Rescue and their donors for sponsoring 100 free sterilization surgeries of Ploiesti strays in November;
- friends that helped with transporting some Ploiesti strays abroad to their wonderful foster or adoptive families;
- friends that helped with caring for animals in great medical need;
- friends that provided great pieces of advice, as well as support and encouragement.
It's a lot to be thankful for. And I am extremely grateful for all the good things that have happened for the Ploiesti strays in 2011.
But there is also a long way to go. Hence, I also have quite a few wishes this Christmas for my dear local strays. I wish for:
- more sterilization campaigns in Ploiesti. Hence, I really wish more people will donate to Romania Animal Rescue specifically for spay/neuter events in Ploiesti (please see Ways to help). One animal can be neutered for as little as 16 euro. Given how many animals are born each year to suffer on the side of the road... 16 euro can really go a long way, doing a lot of good on the long run. Imagine all the puppies that will not be born anymore to a female dog, throughout her whole life.
- more people to open their hearts to the Ploiesti strays, giving them a home and the chance to thrive as beloved members of a family. Wonderful local canine companions available for adoption can be found here.
- truly improved welfare and care for the homeless animals that end up in the local state-owned Bucov shelter.
- a general shift in the perception of stray animals by the local population and authorities. Greater understanding, humanity and responsibility in dealing with stray animals.
Thank you for everything, and please help me make these wishes possible. For Christmas, pray with me for a miracle for these wonderful animals.